Well I only blogged 3 times last year and one was my review of 2014! So here we are again. I guess it’s a little late, but better than ever. 2015-wow, a year of changes!!! As always, it’s amazing to see what I’ve learned and how God has been faithful through it all!
- what did you do this past year that you’d never done before?
- Became a mentor to a younger woman through Hope Community Church (Jan.)
- Completed a six-week course called Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) at the U of MN and meditated consistently…during the course (Feb-March)
- tried my first 24-hour fast (Feb.) and 3-day juice fast (summer)
- Began seeing a naturopathic (functional medicine) doctor (June)
- Was told I might lose my job (Feb); then lost my job because of budget cuts (Mar.)
- Broke a bone in my right foot (tried to walk on it when it was asleep in the middle of the night) and had to wear a boot for 6 weeks (May-June)
- Learned how to drive left footed! (May-June)
- Completed my eighth year of teaching (May)
- Got engaged! (June) and planned a wedding in 3 months!
- While planning the wedding, planned and went on a 2-week trip out west with fiancé Nathan (Aug)-got to see some awesome sights and wonderful people!
- Went to cousin Caitlin’s wedding in Pella, IA on Aug. 1st!
- Went to Brigham Young University (UT), drove through the Great Salt Lake Desert (UT), slept in a yurt (OR), saw Crater Lake (OR), went to Powell’s Books (Portland) toured Boise Penitentiary (ID)-(Aug.)
- Went to CA for the first time and the Jedediah Smith Nat’l Forest-Redwoods (Aug.)
- Began a new job teaching middle school (Sept.) after teaching elementary for over 8 years
- Got married-it was beautiful and perfect!! (Sept. 25)
- Moved, started a new job and got married all within a few weeks! (Sept.)
- Adjusting to life in the ” ‘burbs ” including a longer commute to work! (fall-now)
- Creating a way of life with my new hubby (fall-now)
- Had our first dinner guest over (Megan)-(Dec.)
- Had my first holiday season as a married person! (Dec.)
- Fell in love (all year)
- did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
According to last year’s year in review, “I hope to continually learn how to accept love and grace and, in turn, offer it to others. God is also leading me to spread the wisdom I have been given to others.”
I believe I did share my wisdom with others, particularly my mentee, this year. I have been humbly accepting love and grace from others, especially God and my husband. It has been especially hard through this year of change.
2016 will continue to be a year of adjusting to change. I want to continue this goal of seeing myself and others through the lens of Christ.
However, the Lord is challenging me to go further.The Holy Spirit has been convicting me to trust Him in ways that I have, in the past, seen as risky; to place ruthless trust in HIM only and not in “things.” I am learning the wisdom of balance: taking care of myself but also not playing it too safe to the point that I am actually not helping myself at all.
- did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, my friend Jes had Logan in Sept. Sarah and Greg had Nynaeve (my 3rd niece) in November. I’m sure there were probably more…
- did anyone close to you die?
- what countries did you visit?
none, but drove through many states on our way out west!
- what would you like to have this year that you lacked last year?
ruthless TRUST that God really can provide for my needs. LAUGHTER-thanks to my hubby I am getting better at this! PATIENCE and GRATITUDE in all things. GRACE for myself and others.
- what date from this year will remain etched upon your memory, and why?June 10, 2015-the day Nathan proposed!
Aug. 1 Caitlin and Barry’s wedding !
Sept. 25, 2015, our wedding
Nov. 4, 2015 Nynaeve was born. Also my Dad’s b-day!
- what was your biggest achievement of the year?
- Getting married and beginning a life together with my new husband!
- what was your biggest failure?
worrying too much; treating myself as less of a person than others; not accepting myself and others the way Christ does
- did you suffer illness or injury?
Yes, fractured my right foot. Day-to-day irritants but overall not much. I am very grateful for my health!
- what was the best thing you bought?
the wedding and our trip out west
- whose behavior merited celebration?
- Nathan-he has been there for me, stable, continuously loving me through everything
- my parents who hosted and helped plan our wedding! It was amazing and we couldn’t have done it without them!
- Our family and friends for all their love and support throughout our relationship and engagement!
- whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
- where did most of your money go?
wedding stuff, out west trip
- what did you get really, really, really excited about?
- compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
Happier in most ways; sadder in some. Overall change can somehow equal pain and sadness in my mind, but I am learning that that’s a lie!
- thinner or fatter?thinner; went through a several months of eating less. Was it the stress?!?!?
- richer or poorer?
Not sure, I am getting paid a lot more now.
- what do you wish you’d done more of?
- being present in the moment
- being grateful
- laughed more
- what do you wish you’d done less of?
- Complaining and being negative
- beating myself up or blaming myself and others
- how will you be spending your birthday? I will be 32 this year. Who knows!?
- how will you be spending the holidays?
Probably in the Midwest again with those we love most
- did you fall in love this past year? yep!
- how many one-night stands? None
- what was your favorite TV program?
- Gilmore Girls, Downton Abbey
- do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, I try not to do that
- what was the best book you read?
Ruthless Trust by Brennan Manning
The Meaning of Marriage by Timothy Keller
- what was your greatest musical discovery?
Nothing new really. Overall, more appreciation for and love of classical music…it can touch me and calm me like no other music.
- what did you want and get?
- a job that pays the bills
- a wonderful godly husband and a new life as a married woman!
- my own house (with my hubbie) and space, especially a kitchen all to myself (well, I should say ourselves, but I’m usually in it!)
- a wonderful new adorable niece, Nynaeve
- getting to know his family more at holiday time
- Christmas with most of our fam
- healthy & safety, love…who can ask for more?
- what did you want and not get?
•To be anxiety free, to be free of stomach & food issues and obsessions
- what was your favorite film of this year?
We didn’t really have a favorite. We watched lots of Netflix and old movies. We did see Bring Him Home in the theater which we liked.
- what did you do on your last birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31! N and I were on our trip out west. We were actually driving through the Salt Lake desert that day. But later we celebrated at an amazing B & B, with a hot tub overlooking the Pacific Coast
- how would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
I have been struggling to find a style. The older I get, the more I tend toward comfort and minimalism. So last year, I began wearing less jewelry and makeup. I wear clothes that fit me well and with no added doo-dads that stress me out. While I like looking nice, I prefer being comfortable! And warm!
- what kept you sane?
- God’s Truth; Nathan; Counseling; Quiet/serenity; exercising (yoga); outdoors and creation; Classical music/Pandora One; Friends & family
- which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
none really stand out
- what political issue stirred you the most? I try to stay away from the news, I get too stirred up
- who was the best new person you met?
- my niece Nynaeve
- tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015:I know last year I talked about God’s faithfulness. But I guess it’s the same this year. I never imagined a year like this one! Both Nathan and I felt that our meeting one another was a supernatural occurrence. We continue to be stunned at God’s hand in our lives. All that we have been through before meeting one another has shaped us, and we believe, has strengthened our marriage. We are so excited to see what God will do through us individually and as a couple. He has been teaching us what marriage really means; how it’s not about us at all. It is so humbling to think he could use our relationship as a witness to others!
For me personally, while so many changes this year have caused new situations and things to think about, I’m secure because I know He has always been there and will continue to be there in any and all situations.
- quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Never Once-by Matt Redman (one song from our wedding)
Standing on this mountaintop
Looking just how far we’ve come
Knowing that for every step
You were with us
Kneeling on this battle ground
Seeing just how much You’ve done
Knowing every victory
Is Your power in us
Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say
Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful