2012 was a year of richness, growth and healing! Here is a little about my year:
1. what did you do this past year that you’d never done before?
- Began reading the Bible in chronological order (Jan.)
- Did a chocolate fast for lent and did not cheat once! (Mar.-April)
- Joined a writing group (June-Aug)
- Visited my Aunt Cheryl, Uncle Carl and cousins in Fredericksburg, Virginia (June)
- Drove through Appalachia without GPS or phone service (June)
- Got my first SMART phone (June)
- Laid out under the stars on the shore of Lake Superior next to a fire burning in between the rocks (June)
- Went kayaking-so awesome and beautiful! (July)
- Became a birdwatcher
- Bought my first piano (July)
- Planned and hosted a big birthday party for myself (Aug.)
- Went fall camping (Oct.) and it was FREEZING!
- Finished my Master’s Program! Woo hoo! (Dec.)
- Spent Christmas in Oregon! YAY! (Dec.)
- Flew on a plane (multiple planes) in the winter (Dec.)
- Went snowshoeing (Dec.)
- Went snowshoeing in the Oregon Mountains with Nate and Brendan (Dec.)
- Went to a winery (Dec.)
2. did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did not explicitly make a resolution but it was probably something about continuing my journey toward health, which I believe I achieved, although it is a bit intangible.
My New Year’s Resolution for 2013 is to continue focusing on gratitude and on the present moment!
3. did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! Greg & Sarah = Verity (Feb.)
4. did anyone close to you die?
5. what countries did you visit?
Just the east and west coasts of the U.S.
6. what would you like to have this year that you lacked last year?
more peace and gratitude, grace for myself and others. I am getting better! Thanks to the Lord!
7. what date from this year will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Feb. 10-Verity was born! Dec. 14-Newtown shooting, I will hopefully forget this date but it sticks with me
8. what was your biggest achievement of the year?
- Finishing my Master’s Program despite wanting to quit dozens of times!
- Having a complete year depression-free!
- Joining a writing group
- Getting a piano and playing more
9. what was your biggest failure?
failing to give myself grace the way the Lord does, being too hard on myself
10. did you suffer illness or injury?
Just periodic headaches/migraines and anxiety. I was blessed to be mostly healthy this year! Thanks, God!
11. what was the best thing you bought?
Good, wholesome food from the Earth!
New car (2007 Accord)
12. whose behavior merited celebration?
- My dear friends Theresa, Michelle and Vanessa. I am so grateful for my closest friends and all they have taught me and been for me!
- My beloved parents and brothers/sis-in laws who continue to support me unconditionally
- My principal and co-workers, so please to work where I work
- My university instructor-all her support was appreciated!
- My counselor Linda for all her wisdom and support
13. whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. where did most of your money go?
food, grad school, car payments, rent, etc.
15. what did you get really, really, really excited about?
Finishing my Master’s program
17. compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder?
Neither, I would say more hopeful!
18. thinner or fatter?
Same, thanks God!
19. richer or poorer?
Poorer in the monetary sense. But, richer in that I am a better, stronger person because of another year of life.
20. what do you wish you’d done more of?
•Writing more! Not being afraid to share it!
- Volunteering or mission trips
- being present in the moment
21. what do you wish you’d done less of?
•Worrying and analyzing about the past, present and future
- Trying to be perfect
- Complaining and being negative
- Eating sweets
- Texting instead of talking in person
- Being a distracted driver
22. how will you be spending your birthday? Probably more low key this year!
23. how will you be spending the holidays?
Probably in the Midwest again-with my parents and siblings either in the flesh or in the heart
24. did you fall in love this past year? nope, not that I know of
25. how many one-night stands? None
26. what was your favorite TV program?
- Diners, Drive-ins and Dives
- Law & Order: SVU
27. do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, I’ve been able to be more understanding of people thanks to God working in me
28. what was the best book you read?
A Thousand Gifts by Anne Voskamp
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
29. what was your greatest musical discovery?
Rojo (a Mexican Christian rock band)
30. what did you want and get?
- a piano
- a stable job that continues to be amazing
- Healthy babies for my brother/sis-in-law and friends! Thanks God!
- Strength, endurance and personal health and healing!
- To be depression-free! Woot!
- To learn better ways to manage my anxiety
- To complete my Master’s Program and receive a 4.0! Wow!
- To go to Oregon for Christmas
31. what did you want and not get?
•A man to fall in love and spend my entire life with
•To be anxiety free
•To not be dependent on medication
32. what was your favorite film of this year?
Brave and Trouble with the Curve
33. what did you do on your last birthday, and how old were you?
28! I planned a big party in my backyard and it was a huge success! There was lots of special people, food, an amazing dairy free carrot cake, a DJ with good music and a big white gorilla. I couldn’t have asked for a better party and I am so grateful for all my wonderful friends and family who came
34. how would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
I don’t know how to describe it. I guess I’ve been told I’m good at accessorizing and the color schemes I choose go well together. I can’t go wrong when half my clothes have been given to me in great condition!
35. what kept you sane?
- Trust in the Lord
- Exercising, staying active
- The outdoors and creation
- The stability and routine of work-I’m so grateful for a job I love!
36. which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I really like Amy Adams
37. what political issue stirred you the most?
homosexuality and same-sex marriage
38. who was the best new person you met?
- My little niece Verity!
- Amelie, Tim’s girlfriend, it was so great to meet her and spend time with her in October
39. tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
Gratitude, focusing on the present moment, bringing God into everything, meditation, keeping your body active-these are the keys to healing.
40. quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
I know Who goes before me
I know Who stands behind
The God of angel armies
Is always on my side
The One who reigns forever
He is a Friend of mine
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side
Whom shall I fear
~Chris Tomlin-God of Angel Armies